Domain
Password

Contact Us
create account

Old 11-17-2011, 07:49 PM
Apis Networks Diehard

Migrating IPB from one account to another

Hello,

At the moment I have two accounts with Apis and I am trying to consolidate them into one. The account I would like to close is currently hosting IPB 2.3.1. I would like to migrate this installation to my other account. I am also interested in updating it to 3.2.3, however I am not sure whether this is a necessary step in the migration or not.

It seems the "easiest" path to take is the following:
- upgrade old installation of forums to 3.2.3
- install 3.2.3 on keeper account
- export/import database from old to new

Of course I'd like to do a test run of all this, and the forum theme is going to need some work, so I would prefer to copy the existing 2.3.1 install + db to keeper account, run the upgrade there, and sort out any problems before opening to the public. I'm anticipating a million user/permissions issues. Any advice on the best approach to take here?

Thanks!
Old 11-18-2011, 06:48 PM
Tech Liaison

Send a message via AIM to Matt Send a message via MSN to Matt
I'd suggest checking with the IPB community. They have more experience with migrations and can provide you with the best answer
Old 11-23-2011, 01:03 AM
Apis Networks Diehard

Thanks Matt. I had posted a similar thread in those forums, and though I could have submitted a ticket through their client area, I realized that my statement of the problem was not really specific enough. I decided to just go forward with upgrading the existing installation, then migrating the db to the new account.

I do have another question. There is a large amount of data that I'd like to migrate from one Apis account to another (I don't know the specific amount but I think it is several gigs). Is there any chance of coordinating a transfer from one account to another rather than sending the data all the way to Canada and back?
Old 11-23-2011, 11:55 AM
Tech Liaison

Sure thing, that's something I can help you with. Open up a ticket with what you need transferred over.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:34 PM
Apis Networks Diehard

I'm having a problem importing a database in phpMyAdmin. The database to be imported is a .sql file around 80 megs in size. phpMA tells me I can compress the file and import it, so I've used 7-zip to compress it to .zip. When I import, the file upload seems to go fine, then it says "The file is being processed, please be patient." There is no progress beyond this point, and the phpMA navigation frame on the left eventually gives me a "The connection was reset" Firefox error page.

I had considered trying to upload the uncompressed .sql, but the file limit is apparently 64 MiB. Is this a PHP limit or a mySQL limit?
Old 12-13-2011, 04:37 PM
Tech Liaison

Hi,

Can you try importing the compressed archive as a .gz or .bz2 (gzip/bzip)? Additionally, what server (hostname of the URL) is this phpMyAdmin instance under?
Old 12-13-2011, 05:25 PM
Apis Networks Diehard

Thanks Matt. Compression to .gz imported just fine. The site is on Echelon.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:50 PM
Tech Liaison

Ah hah. I've encountered one other similar issue with phpMyAdmin and PHP's zip extension. As far as I know, this is not a problem on Apollo (or any successive server generation). All previous generation servers will be retired in early Q1 2012 during a refresh based upon some of Apollo's technology and CentOS 6.

Until then, use gzip or bzip if phpMyadmin is stalling on an import of a large database.